The owner of a large dog that mauled two smaller pets to death in Yuen Long earlier this week has expressed “regret” over signing the animal to authorities and hopes to withdraw the surrender, according to the founder of a local animal rescue group.
The development followed remarks by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) on Wednesday that the dog could be euthanised if its owner surrendered it, or alternatively be formally classified as a “known dangerous dog”.
Kent Luk Ka-chit, founder of Paws Guardian Rescue Shelter, told the South China Morning Post that the owner had signed an AFCD surrender form at a police station on Tuesday to hand over the dog, named “Lali” in Chinese.
“He signed the surrender form, but afterwards he regretted it,” Luk said.
“He told me he wanted to hand the dog to a no-kill organisation instead.”
The SCMP has contacted the AFCD to clarify whether the owner has formally surrendered Lali and whether the decision can be withdrawn.






